Thursday, February 12, 2009

A fake author

In his film “F is for Fake”, Orson Welles calls on the viewer to question authorship and look beyond the façade to expertise and art and focus on the value or meaning of authenticity. As I was watching the movie, I was very much sucked in to Welles’ point of view. His presentation and tone as he relates the stories of Elmyr and Clifford Irving appear to be driving at some kind of objective message. I couldn’t help thinking of our readings last week as I got sucked into Welles’ seemingly nonjudgmental telling.

 

Like Godard, cleverly makes the audience aware of the film he is making through the documentary form, but also in the shots where he is in the editing room and makes “mistakes” to seem natural. This is highly effective in giving Welles’ point of view and authoritative authenticity. He attempts to tell the story as if it has no author. He refers to himself as a faker as well, lowering himself to the subjects he is studying. But, while this is quite effective while immersed in the film itself, upon reflection, the viewer sees the disingenuous tactics for what they are. Welles is, as he says, himself a faker, but he is clearly setting up the viewer against Elmyr and Clifford as he tells his story with smug superiority. The same smug superiority he chastises his subjects for. Who is the author here? I think it is very clear, although I appreciate the attempt in superficially erasing the need for one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.